- Narayana Murthy was born on 20 August 1946 in Sidlaghatta, Chikkaballapura district Karnataka.
- After completing his school education, he went to the NIT and graduated in 1967 with a degree in Electrical Engineering.
- In 1969 he received his master’s degree from the IIT Kanpur.
Narayana Murthy Professional Life
- Narayana Murthy first served as Research Associate under a faculty at IIM Ahmedabad and then later served as chief systems programmer.
- There he worked on India’s first time-sharing computer system and designed and implemented a BASIC interpreter for Electronics Corporation of India Limited.
- During the ’70s Murthy helped design an operating system for handling air cargo at Charles de Gaulle Airport, while also working on other projects in Paris.
- Narayana Murthy started a company named Softronics. When that company failed after about a year and a half, he joined Patni Computer Systems in Pune
- Murthy and six software professionals founded Infosys in 1981 with an initial capital injection of Rs 10,000. Sudha Murthy, wife of Narayan Muthy was provided by his wife Sudha Murthy.
- Mr. Murthy articulated, designed, and implemented the Global Delivery Model. His Global Delivery Model laid the foundation for the huge success in IT services outsourcing from India.
- Narayana Murthy served as the CEO of Infosys for 21 years from 1981 to 2002 and was succeeded by co-founder Nandan Nilekani.
- Narayana Murthy seized the opportunity to expand his business, negotiating deals with many business houses in other countries to provide them with systems integration, software development, consulting and product engineering services.
- By 1999, Nasdaq listed Infosys, becoming the first Indian registered company to be listed on an American stock exchange.
- In the following years, Forbes magazine recognized Murthy as an influential entrepreneur.
- Narayana Murthy was chairman of the board from 2002 to 2006, after which he became Chairman of the board and Chief Mentor.
- By the time Murthy retired from Infosys in 2006, the company’s revenue was US $3 billion.
Life After Retirement
- Narayana Murthy serves as an independent director on the corporate board of HSBC, DBS Bank, Unilever, ICICI and NDTV.
- He also serves as a member of the advisory boards and councils of several educational and philanthropic institutions, including Cornell University, INSEAD, ESSEC, Ford Foundation.
- Narayan Murthy is also Chairman of the Governing board of Public Health Foundation of India.
- He serves on the Asia Pacific Advisory Board of British Telecommunications. In 2005 he co-chaired the World Economic Forum in Davos.
- On 1 June 2013, Narayana Murthy returned to Infosys as Executive chairman and Additional Director.
- On 12 June 2014 Infosys Management announced that Murthy would step down as Executive chairman effective 14 June. Narayana Murthy continued as Non-Executive chairman till 10 October.
- Murthy also serves on the strategic board which advises the national law firm, Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas, on strategic, policy and governance issues.
- His wife, Sudha Murthy, is a social worker and author. He has two children, a son Rohan Murty and a daughter Akshata Murthy.
- On 1 June 2013, Rohan joined Infosys as an executive assistant to his father. He left Infosys effective 14 June 2014.
- Akshata is married to Rishi Sunaka British Conservative MP.